Sunday, December 19, 2010

Teaching parents tech

Ever since I remember my dad, a public sector employee too busy in his job would try to give maximum possible time to the family. Even after working long hours at office and site-field, once he would at home he would try to concern on us, especially my sis and me. I remember him trying to solve my mathematics and physics problems to help me in my homework. I quite admired his patience when I queried a lot during that period. When we visit our village he will show us around the place. My curious nature will force him to answer my millions questions all through the way. Most of them were replied with satisfied answers. Wow!! My dad is almost an omniscient I was felt too proud of it.

After marriage I got another dad, my pops (my f-i-l, father in law). I feel I was lucky enough to get love and affection from both my dad and pops. My pops act like a catalyst to my curiosity. The truth is pops is even more curious about new things than me. When our home need a new gadget pops will just dig deep to know all about it, its features, he will try to figure out all possible usage and lacking if any before settling. Loved it that way.

Recently I got a chance to show off my computer knowledge to both men. As we live in Chennai and my parents and parents-in-law stay at my hometown Sambalpur, all were connected through phone. But in this tech-era if we are going to move on like this it would we so dull. So, we decided to connect through skype or oovoo. And here we go!!

KT (knowledge transfer) session starts now. We (more of me) started with turning on the computer, moving to use of MS word, copying – pasting files, transferring files, etc. They religiously followed it and took notes. Best part was yet to come; they need to show me that all in practical. Mistakes, learning and relearning, all in phases…

Finally they mastered almost all basic computer knowledge and created their own inbox, opened unread mails, drafted new mails, sent mails, uploaded attachments, and many on.
In the end, both can connect audio and video instant messaging through oovoo.

Almost every weekend we can connect through technology. Its something I can boast to all I (we, including my hubby) taught parent tech.

P.S.: The idea for this write up was always there but it got a push from the recent twitter trend – teach parent tech.

No comments:

Post a Comment